The Stone Tablet

Seventh Grade Students Learn About the Watershed

Sophia J., Staff Writer

7th grade students visited the Cub Run to learn about the watershed on their MWEE (Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience) field trip.  Students attended 6 different stations and learned about a variety of different things

In the first station, students learned about land use, they looked around to see the ground cover and vegetation, the condition of the stream, the stream shade cover, and discussed how the land is being used today. The activity students did was to look at a  premeasured area of land and to determine the hardness of the soil depending on how far down the stick at the measured spot would go down.

At the  second station, students looked at water from the stream and learned about different aspects of the water such as , the PH, the conductivity in the water, nitrite levels,  and dissolved oxygen.  

At the third station, students learned about the different invasive species of plants and animals. They did a walk around in small groups and look to see if they could find any insects or small animals by looking in trees and under rocks.

After that, students went to the fourth station and learned what type of insects are in the streams and how sensitive they are to pollution. The activity involved going into one part of the stream and to see if they could catch any insects.

In the fifth station, students had a model of a town and which showed how different people could contribute to pollution and how they could change what they are doing to help the watershed.   They  also learned the different types of pollution and how one item such as plant fertilizer can do so much damage to the watershed.  

At the last station, students learned about invasive plants, how they could have come to our area, and what they do to our ecosystems. They were provided a  list of the original plants and also a list of  the invasive plants  and went on a little scavenger hunt to see if they could find any of the plants whether it was original or invasive.

• Seventh Grade Students Learn About the Watershed

Feature Articles

The NBA Playoffs

Feature Articles

The Mythical Minds of Rhett and Link

Feature Articles

Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

Homework: Friend or Foe?

Feature Articles

The Life and Times of Cardi B.

Feature Articles

The Simpsons Predict the Future

Feature Articles

Books Turned into Movies

Feature Articles

The Evolution of IPhones has Changed Peoples Lives.

Feature Articles

Clash For The Cup!

Feature Articles

The Westfield Theater

Panther News Set in Stone