The Stone Tablet

A Day in the Life of a Warriner Exchange Student

Kate F., Staff Writer

At Dulles Airport on Friday October 20th, twenty other Stone Panthers and I stood around waiting for our buddies to get through customs so we could greet the exhausted Brits with all our colorful welcome signs. When the tired British exchange students walked through the doors, a cheer went up among the twenty-one Stone students. I was so excited to finally see my buddy in person.

After a weekend of fun and excitement (host families treated their guests with amusement park trips, boating on the Chesapeake, trips to Skyline Drive, Baltimore, Wal-Mart and American football just to name a few) all forty-two teenagers participating in the Warriner- Stone Exchange met in the theater before first period on Monday. After the teachers told us what was happening they let us get back to our first period class. Monday was a regular day for the Stone and Warriner Exchange kids.

At school on Tuesday, all the Stone kids and their buddies hopped on a charter bus and headed to DC to see some sights, go to the White House, and then go on a river boat tour of the monuments. First we  walked around the Lincoln Memorial  and snapped  some pictures. Afterward we drove to the White House. It was really cool because not only were we in the White House but also the White House had a gift shop! Then we headed over to the FDR and MLK memorials to eat lunch and hang out for an hour or so. For the last part of our day we all got on a cute little boat which took us by the monuments on the Potomac. We all  were exhausted by the time we got back to Stone around 3:45, but the day was not over. The Warriner students along with the Stone students and host families celebrated the seventh year of the exchange with a dinner in the school cafeteria

Wednesday was another normal day. Except this time the Warriner kids went to all of our classes. Some of the seventh graders from the Warriner School got to go on the MWEE field trip.

Thursday was another exciting field trip day. We headed back to DC, but this time we went to the Newseum and the American History Museum. First, we went to the Newseum and we had a scavenger hunt. The Newseum was amazing because it had a balcony and the Canadian Embassy was right next door. We ate lunch at the Newseum and went to its gift shop. (The Newseum was definitely my favorite.) After lunch, we all crowded back onto the bus and drove to the American History Museum for another scavenger hunt. My buddy and I tried to take our time and look at the stuff in the museum but we really wanted to win that prize, which turned out to be candy; Hannah and I finished second. After that , we went back through. My buddy Hannah’s favorite part was the Dresses of the First Ladies’; and mine was a cool little game in the WWII section. Everyone was even more tired than we were on Tuesday when we got back to Stone.

Friday was another normal day, just a little sadder because all of us realized that our buddies would be going home the next day

On Saturday afternoon, the Warriner students headed home to Great Britain. If there was a silver lining to their leaving it was that their flight was delayed so everyone got to spend just a little more time together. I know we’ll miss them. And the 2017/2018 Warriner-Stone Exchange is only half over! All twenty-one of the American students are going to Great Britain over Spring Break 2018.

• A Day in the Life of a Warriner Exchange Student

People

Stone Middle Takes First at Shamrock Dance Competition

People

Students Reveal Love For Ms. Stanziani

People

#NidzKids

People

Random Acts of Kindness Week

Listicles

Unusual Pets

Feature Articles

The Life and Times of Cardi B.

Panther on the Street

Who is your favorite superhero and why?

Listicles

Creative Ways to Start Creative Writing

Panther on the Street

What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?

Feature Articles

The Simpsons Predict the Future

Panther News Set in Stone