The Stone Tablet

Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

Stone students come together to raise money for a hurricane victims everywhere!

Amira S. places money in the bottles for the Change Wars.  Many Stone Students participated in this relief fundraiser.

Amira S. places money in the bottles for the Change Wars. Many Stone Students participated in this relief fundraiser.

Mitchell P., Staff Writer

Hurricanes this year have wiped out tens of thousands people’s homes and have left many without running water, food, and electricity on the west coast of North America and in Central America.  Through this struggle many people have started fundraisers for the Red Cross. One of these donors has been Stone Middle School.

Stone Middle School has recently had a fundraiser that put the fun into the fundraiser. Stone Middle school called their fundraiser; Change Wars! Change Wars was how students helped to raised some competitive spirits between 7th graders and 8th graders. During Change Wars is there were two buckets, one titled 7th and the other 8th. To win the Change Wars students had to earn the most points. To gain points, students put in any change you bring in, for example, pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters and put it in your bucket. But, there was a twist, if students wanted to mess the other team up, they put paper bills in the other grades bucket. This caused the other grade to lose points equal to the bills value times 100! So, if you put a one dollar bill in the other grades bucket, it would subtract 100 points from the other team. The students were given one week to put change out into their team’s  bucket. By the end, altogether Stone had raised $1,000.33!

Mr. Anderson, the coordinator of the Change Wars, talked about the success of the Change Wars. “Yes, [the Change Wars was successful because] we made $1,000.33 in one week, my hope was to get at least $1,000, [and] the 8th graders won by somewhere around 60%  of the $1,000.33” With this information readers can infer that the Change Wars was a success.

The US government hasn’t been sitting around either, according to FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency), the government has been very active and has given over 2 million meals to those who are suffering from the effects of the hurricanes. Not only did the government give meals to people, but they also gave 2 million liters water. Now, whenever a natural disaster, happens volunteers are one of the most vital necessities to help repair the damage. The U.S. government alone has sent 21,000 federal employees to help. Along with that, many faith organizations have helped out as well as communities. Every donation counts.

Do you want to be prepared for a hurricane? According to the website Ready.gov there are some tips you should consider before a hurricane or hurricane season. For one, you should cut down dead tree limbs to prevent them from falling on your house or damaging windows.  To prevent water damage reinforce all your doors (including garage doors) because that can destroy and collapse your house over time and makes your house more susceptible to the winds of the hurricane. Finally, you should clear out all nearby gutters so that your street will be less likely to flood.

Many students enjoyed the competitive nature of this fundraiser. Some say that it actually encouraged students to donate more!

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

Feature Articles

Students March For Safety

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

Feature Articles

Schools are Taking a Stand Against School Shootings

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

Feature Articles

Who was Ormond Stone?

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

School News

The Room For After School

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

School News

The Stone Gobbler Gallup!

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

People

A Day in the Life of a Warriner Exchange Student

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

School News

Author John Gilstrap Comes to Stone for a Visit!

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

Feature Articles

Seventh Grade Students Learn About the Watershed

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

School News

Stone Students Rage Over the No Electronics in the Cafeteria

• Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

School News

FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

Panther News Set in Stone
Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!