The Stone Tablet

How does Music Effect the Brain?

Mr.Quinlan is directing songs for the winter concert with his 7th pd chorus, “Stardust.” They practiced very hard to show off what they had learned.

Reyna T., Staff Writer

Music is a huge part of human life. The average person listens to 5-6 hours a day! Many people listen to music while working,cooking,exercising, etc. The students at Stone are no different, but all of this information leads to one question, how does music affect the brain?

According to John Hopkins Medicine, many studies show that music releases a “feel good” chemical in the brain called Dopamine. Dopamine is defined as a neurotransmitter, one of the chemicals that is responsible for transmitting signals in between the neurons of the brain. Since Dopamine adjusts our neurochemistry, this changes our mood. Music works as a sense of comfort for humans; this is why many scientists believe that humans use music in the same way that they use drugs. Music has been around since the beginning of time, because of this, we have become a musical species since our brain has evolved alongside music. Music definitely impacts the human brain in more ways than one.

It’s no shock that music is a huge part of daily lifestyle. Many people listen to music to match their emotion and to help express themselves; others listen to music to help them focus while studying and doing homework. The point is, many people incorporate music into almost everything they do. 8th grade student Adriana M. stated, “I listen to music a lot throughout my day. I usually listen to music while I’m doing homework because it helps keep me motivated and helps me focus.”

On the contrary to belief, music plays a role in our academic skills and abilities. Music improves listening skills, brain development, impulse control and much more! Music can improve a student’s grades and get them prepared for class. Therefore music is also very helpful when studying as it improves your attention, memory, and even ability to do math. It can improve test scores as well, since it reduces anxiety and depression levels. So next time you’re studying, grab your earbuds and your phone!

There is a lot of information on how music affects our brain, but how does music affect the rest of our body? A study called “Mozart Effect,” which was developed by Dr.Gordon Shaw, builds on the theory that music can help our physical health. Dr. Shaw became interested in brain theory in 1973, but did not develop the “Mozart Effect” until the 1990’s. According to his research music can reduce epilepsy in patients and can even help patients in comas. Music can also reduce anxiety, which is linked with blood pressure. Scientists will continue to research and discover new ways that our brains and bodies are linked with music.

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

The History of Horror Movies

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

Who was Ormond Stone?

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

Why do we have Zodiac Signs?

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

Doodle or Don’t.

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

The Emotional Inspiration of the Story “Wonder” will bring you to Tears

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

Christmas is Done Differently Around the World

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

“It.” What Makes it so Scary?

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

What Really Happened to Amelia Earhart?

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

Ready for the Rocks?

• How does Music Effect the Brain?

Feature Articles

Hooked on Rap Music

Panther News Set in Stone
How does Music Effect the Brain?