The Stone Tablet

“It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Many students tried to read the book version of

Many students tried to read the book version of "It," but had a hard time since it was such a large book.

Layla L., Staff Writer

Sewers. Clowns. Missing children. Stephen King’s It. What makes this movie so frightening? What spooks people the most about it?

Stephen King’s It has two movie versions, the older one was made in 1990, and the newest one came out September 8th of this year. The making of the newest version was said to be  much more exciting then the later one, the movie effects have improved since 1990, so ultimately, this film has the potential to be more scary.

The reviews on It are also an important part of hearing why the movie was or was not scary to some viewers. Rotten Tomatoes a well known movie review website, gave the horror movie an 85% on how much people liked it. Most reviews on the website gave the movie a positive rating. “I definitely think It should be a top 10 movie, because it’s a novel that people have read before. Also, people our age love going to the movies.” This is a quote spoke by a seventh grader at Stone, Taylor M. On the flip side, Melissa M. another seventh grader at Stone, states that, “‘It’ might not be a good movie choice for someone if they didn’t like clowns, or horror, or jump scares. There’s a lot of that in the movie.”

Coulrophobia is a type of intense fear that develops in someone that feels fearful when they see a clown, hear about a clown, or are put into a situation involving clowns. People with coulrophobia can be set off by anything, for example, a kids birthday card, a TV star that has played a clown, or an appearance of a clown on a TV show. This phobia relates to the movie because the main character is a clown, so anyone with this phobia would be very frightened by this movie.

It is only a movie.” “It is fake, don’t worry.”How many times have you heard these words before? With clowns it’s different. You cannot just ignore the fact that they’re real. Something else you cannot ignore is that you don’t know what to expect with clowns. They’re unpredictable. Unpredictability is also a trigger of fear. Think about the ocean; lot’s of people are afraid to go in because they don’t know what could happen; a shark could swim by and bite, they could get stung by a jellyfish, or they could get swept up in a current. That’s what makes It scary.

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

The History of Horror Movies

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

Who was Ormond Stone?

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

Why do we have Zodiac Signs?

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

Doodle or Don’t.

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

The Emotional Inspiration of the Story “Wonder” will bring you to Tears

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

Christmas is Done Differently Around the World

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

How does Music Effect the Brain?

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

What Really Happened to Amelia Earhart?

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

Ready for the Rocks?

• “It.” What Makes it so Scary?

Feature Articles

Hooked on Rap Music

Panther News Set in Stone
“It.” What Makes it so Scary?