The Stone Tablet

The Emotional Inspiration of the Story “Wonder” will bring you to Tears

Ariana T., Staff Writer

The book Wonder is about a little boy named Auggie Pullman who has never went to a private or public school before, but all of that is going to change at the beginning of the new school year. At Beecher Prep Middle School Auggie wants nothing more than to be treated like a normal kid, but will his peers treat him like that?

Wonder is a story about a boy named Auggie Pullman who suffers from severe facial differences. Since Auggie looks so different from everyone else he was home-schooled. That soon changes when Auggie enters the 5th grade at a public school. This book is about how Auggie has to face the challenges of being home schooled to now being at a public school, while also being very different from everyone else. Who knows what crazy challenges Auggie will have to face. This year “Wonder”, will be made into a movie based off of the book.

According to Britishcouncil.org author Robin Newton, “Wonder is an excellent book. It tells an inspiring story that makes you feel many different emotions. Once I started reading it, I didn’t want to stop.” Many teachers at Stone middle School teachers felt the same about Wonder as Mr. Bergeson, a P.E. teacher.  He said “Yes it inspired me. Not only as a teacher and a parent, but especially as a person in this world that right now seems to lack kindness. One big takeaway was for all of us to be very grateful for what we have, no matter how small, and another is that kindness is more important than anything else in the world, and how we treat others says more about us than anything else.” Jayla S., 8th grade, said “The book was very interesting. It showed topics that we don’t really talk about. It showed us what people with special needs go through.”  Finally, our school librarian, Mrs.Muir, Librarian, said “Students should read Wonder because it shows what a child goes through when they feel/look different, but it also shows how brave you have to be to be that child’s friend.” Obviously many people were very moved and inspired by reading this book, and you can tell how the book has changed them in such an amazing way.

According to the Offical Wonder Movie Website. the inspiration of Wonder occurred when RJ Palacio (the author of Wonder) was with her two sons one day in front of an ice cream store. Palacio and her two sons then saw a child with very great facial differences. Palacio’s youngest son soon started crying because he was afraid of the child. Palacio was afraid that the tears from her youngest son would hurt the child’s feelings. Scared to make the child feel bad, Palacio left the location. Afterward, she’d realized that she hadn’t handled the situation the best, and started to wonder how that child faces the world everyday.

The movie Wonder movie was released on November 17th, 2017. The main actors/ actresses include; Jacob Tremblay as August Pullman, and Julia Roberts as Isabel (August’s mom), Owen Wilson will be playing Nate (August’s dad), Mandy Patinkin will be playing Mr.Tushman,  Daveed Diggs as Mr.Browne, and Izabela Vidovic will be playing Via (August’s sister).  According to there are a some videos that you can watch about the making of the movie and how the book affected the actors/actresses. Julia Roberts said that when she was playing Auggie’s mom, things became immediately consuming in the most incredible way. Julia Roberts also said that she feels like Wonder is a superhero movie and that Auggie is a hero to her.

• The Emotional Inspiration of the Story “Wonder” will bring you to Tears

Feature Articles

The NBA Playoffs

Feature Articles

The Mythical Minds of Rhett and Link

Feature Articles

Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

Homework: Friend or Foe?

Feature Articles

The Life and Times of Cardi B.

Feature Articles

The Simpsons Predict the Future

Feature Articles

Books Turned into Movies

Feature Articles

The Evolution of IPhones has Changed Peoples Lives.

Feature Articles

Clash For The Cup!

Feature Articles

The Westfield Theater

Panther News Set in Stone