The Stone Tablet

Lights, Camera, Action!

The newsroom at Stone Middle School is a busy place when GMS is getting ready to film.  Many students have said they would love to be part of GMS next year.

The newsroom at Stone Middle School is a busy place when GMS is getting ready to film. Many students have said they would love to be part of GMS next year.

Skylar C., Staff Writer

All about life as a GMS student, and what it takes to become a professional news anchor.

Have you ever watched the Stone news show and wondered what goes on behind the scenes? Have you ever wondered what it takes to become part of the GMS team? What about the professional stations? How does all of that work?

During every news show, there is a cameraman (one for each of the two cameras), a sound technician, technical director, and slide person. The cameraman’s job is pretty self explanatory. He/she is in charge of making sure that each camera is centered before the show and on during it. The sound technician makes sure that the sound is off before and after the show, but is at a good volume when the cameras are rolling. It is also the technician’s job to do one sound check before the anchors and weather man begins speaking. The technical director is in control of activating each camera and turning onto the slides when necessary. In other words, when the anchors are supposed to be on camera, it is the technical director’s job to turn the focus onto camera one. This person is in charge of everything the viewers are seeing. The slide person is in control of what slides are being shown. For example, when the weather man is speaking, it is the slide person’s job to put on the “weather” slide.

Of course, there is a lot that goes into being on camera as well! It takes great confidence to be able to broadcast the daily news live in front of the entire school. You need to have a loud voice that can project into the microphone. A mic doesn’t make a quiet voice loud, it makes a loud voice louder. It is also a good idea to have a spunky personality when giving the news for the day. You want your audience to look forward to the day. When you look uncomfortable, your audience will be too. Be sure to have most of your lines memorized and when you look down at your paper, maintain a loud, excited voice and read fluently, not like a robot. From what most GMS students can tell, the morning news is show enjoyed by many spectators. Reagan Betzner, 7th grade- “I like how the anchors tell whether it is going to be an odd or even day. Too many students don’t look at the board in the morning, and it helps to hear it announced at the beginning of the day. I also like how the show tells about upcoming events. It helps to keep everyone posted on what is to come.”

As most people know, there is more to the “news world” than just GMS. There are many different news channels that the daily news nationwide instead of just schoolwide. A few of them include: CNN News, Fox News, MSNBC News, Free Speech TV, Fusion, Newsmax TV, One America News Network, and RFD-TV.

There are multiple paths you can take in order to become a professional news anchor for either a statewide or nationwide news channel. But the education that you will need remains the same. You must get a least a Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications, coursework in media ethics, editorial writing, visual technology, and investigative reporting.

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

The NBA Playoffs

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

The Mythical Minds of Rhett and Link

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

Homework: Friend or Foe?

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

The Life and Times of Cardi B.

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

The Simpsons Predict the Future

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

Books Turned into Movies

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

The Evolution of IPhones has Changed Peoples Lives.

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

Clash For The Cup!

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

The Westfield Theater

• Lights, Camera, Action!

Feature Articles

Are Earbuds Really Necessary to have in your Ears Everyday?

Panther News Set in Stone
Lights, Camera, Action!