Panther News Set in Stone

The Stone Tablet

Sports and Good Grades. Is there a Correlation?

Basketball is one of the many sports that can help student learn focus and multi-tasking abilities.

Can playing sports really make you smarter? Different opinions about sports argue if sports are better for education. So basically, some people argue that you can get on the All A-Honor Roll if you join your school’s soccer team. Do you agree with this?

Studies show that kids can get tired in school the next day after a game or practice. Also, they don’t do homework because they are too busy. “I don’t think it affects school because I do my sports on the weekends and it doesn’t affect my schoolwork,”  said Brigitte T, a 7th grade student.

Exercise increases blood flow to the brain and helps the body add more connections between nerves; this leads to increased concentration, enhanced memory, creativity, and better problem solving skills. So playing sports helps your brain grow and makes it work better. Studies also have shown that a lot more kids have joined competitive sports, which are more dangerous and has long drives to games which makes kids tired during school. Do you agree with this?

“I think it will only impact you if you play sports all night,” says Sebastian M., an 8th grade student. Most high school students have to miss their school classes for sports (before school, after school, etc). They are often late and get marked tardy, which eventually can lead to school suspension. “I think it will only impact you if you play sports all night,” Sebastian also reports. If you are an elementary school principal you think that sports do not have a large impact on what we do during the day, but they do. Many kids play kickball and two hand touch football out at recess, and many also play those games as if they were playing in the World Series or the Super Bowl. Some of the games get out of control and many people can get hurt.

Physical exercise is good for mind, spirit, and body. Team sports are good for learning accountability, leadership, and dedication. Putting these qualities together by playing a sport is a winning combination. Playing a sport requires lots of time and energy. Some may think this would distract student athletes from schoolwork, however, the opposite is true. Sports require memorizing, repeating, and learning skill sets that are directly relevant to classwork. Also, the determination and goal-setting skills sports require can be set to the classroom.

Exercising is a natural way to loosen up and release stress. Also, you will most likely make lots of new friends on a team who can be there for you as a support system. When you find you are having a lot of stress, you can talk to teammates and head to the gym to talk it out and play it out. “I think it’s true that exercise can really decrease the amount of stress because during the day with school, work or family, if you exercise it releases the anger,”says Gary H., an 8th grade student at Stone Middle School.

The website Active.com states that physical inactivity is the main cause of obesity, which affects more than 23 million kids. Only half of American children meet the Surgeon General’s recommendation for at least 60 minutes of physical activity over three days a week. Despite these facts, schools who have the capacity to provide students with physical activity and encourage healthy lifestyles, are cutting back on physical education and physical activity programs. This is mainly caused due to budget cuts and initiatives to maximize standardized test scores.

Obesity, stress and having poor grades are all problems in the world that sports can decrease. What do you think about that? Do you think that sports make school easier or harder? Based on the information most people think that sports make school easier. You should join a sport that you know how to do it, don’t stay up too late and balance schoolwork.

• Sports and Good Grades.  Is there a Correlation?

Feature Articles

Top 7 Songs of May 2017

Feature Articles

Stone Middle Takes First at Shamrock Dance Competition

Feature Articles

Want to do great on your SOL? Here are 10 tips for the SOLs!

Feature Articles

Camping 101

Feature Articles

Caught Nappin?

Feature Articles

The differences of getting to school in the US, and other parts of the world.

Feature Articles

How does Playing an Instrument Help you in Life?

Feature Articles

It’s Oozy! It’s Stretchy! It’s Slime!

Feature Articles

Can Music Really Help You With School Work?

Feature Articles

Teenage Pregnancy in Today’s Day an Age

Panther News Set in Stone