Panther News Set in Stone

The Stone Tablet

Who else wants new Sports at Stone?

A group of 7th graders are doing lunges outside during gym class for a warm-up.  The students needed to warm up their muscles before doing their main workout.

A group of 7th graders are doing lunges outside during gym class for a warm-up. The students needed to warm up their muscles before doing their main workout.

Michelle P., Staff Writer

Yay! Aw! Yes! Ouch! These are most of the things people say during a sports game. We enjoy seeing our friends and family succeed during a game. Stone has a lot of sports teams, however, Stone should and could have more sports teams next year.

There are lots of benefits of sports. Sports can help you emotionally and physically. According to the George Lucas Educational Foundation, at the University of Kansas, athletes were shown to have a better G.P.A than non-athletes. Physical sports can increase your blood flow to the brain and release endorphins, which is a chemical that gets released when you exercise. This chemical can change your mood and work performance. In fact, the Canadian Fitness and Lifestyle Research Institute says that exercise can lead to short-term relaxation, which can increase concentration, memory, creativity,  improve moods, and can lead to more “effective problem solving”. Sports can also build a better self-esteem, a positive role model, communication skills, teamwork, time management, structure, and improve health by burning calories and strengthening muscles. Overall, sports have a lot of benefits, both emotional and physical.   

A lot of people play sports, but do they wonder how team sports start? It’s actually really simple. According to Mr. Anderson, he starts sports teams by just asking the students. After they have come up with a new sport team, he just needs to contact Mrs. Mitchell and it starts a new team. Mr. Anderson still has to run all the tryouts and etc, but even Mr. Anderson would like to have some new sports too. For instance, he said he would like to run sports like field hockey, wrestling, softball, and baseball. Some people don’t even play sports, but enjoy watching them. Those people are mostly the audience, they cheer and yell as their team scores a goal. “ My favorite sport to watch [ is ] football and Stone should have [all] kinds of sports because they [are] fun to watch,” says Talayeh B, 7th grader. In the end, sports can be fun to play, watch, or even both!

Even though there are a lot of benefits in playing sports, there are also disadvantages. Ezine Articles states two types of disadvantages, emotional and physical disadvantages. Emotionally you might feel pressured in being the best and you might not even be the best;thinking like this can also lower your self-esteem. That can be fixed, for instance, you can find a quote to inspire you like,  ” You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” by Babe Ruth. Physically, you can get injured many ways, either you sprain an ankle, break an arm, or even falling and getting a cut or bruise. The injuries can lead into body problems, such as, a concussion or back problems. However, you can prevent getting injured. You can wear protective gear, like helmets, gloves, knee pads, shoulder pads, elbow pads, and cleats/good shoes. Overall, even though there are disadvantages in playing team sports and sports in general, there is and can be a solution.

In Stone, some sports we already have are flag football, basketball, soccer, dance, and volleyball. The games that are known and acknowledged more, is probably basketball. Most of our games are held after school, either in the Stone gym or other school gyms. Stone has a lot school sports, but, some new sports we could have are baseball, softball, field hockey, wrestling, lacrosse, and track. Overall, next year, Stone can and should have more sports teams.

• Who else wants new Sports at Stone?

Sports

Stone’s Volleyball Team

• Who else wants new Sports at Stone?

Feature Articles

Sports and Good Grades. Is there a Correlation?

• Creative Writing

Secrecy

• Creative Writing

First Kiss

• Creative Writing

They Bloom Again

• Creative Writing

Rescued

• Creative Writing

What a Strange Day

• Creative Writing

Scary Memory

• Creative Writing

It Was Him

• Creative Writing

The Door

Panther News Set in Stone
Who else wants new Sports at Stone?