Panther News Set in Stone

The Stone Tablet

Want to do great on your SOL? Here are 10 tips for the SOLs!

Students are working in the computer lab on TestNav. They were preparing for their Math SOL on Wednesday, May 24, 2017.

Reyna T., Staff Writer

We all know the SOLs can be pretty stressful and hard to prepare for.  Relieve some stress and do great on your SOLs by following these 10 tips!

1. Study in Intervals
Studies show that studying in intervals over a period of time is more efficient than studying in one long session.  Studying in intervals may also benefit long-term retention.  Take a five-minute break after 30 minutes of studying!

2. Be the teacher
Grab your sibling, pet, or your stuffed animal!  Pretending to teach the material helps you remember and understand the material better.  It also helps you identify the areas you are struggling with.

3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help
Everyone needs help once a while. Don’t be afraid to ask for it!  Stay after school with a teacher or ask your older sibling to help you. If you get help you’ll do better on the SOL because it was explained to you. If neither of these options work for you, there’s an app called “Yup” that helps with Math and Science homework!

4. Sleep is key
It seems like adults are always nagging you to get sleep, but they do it for a good reason.  Sleep makes it easier to focus and the information is remembered more. Lack of sleep can also impair your judgment, you may choose C when the correct answer is D.

5. Don’t Cram!
The anxiety that comes with a test can prove to be very difficult for some of us.  Studying last minute can trigger that even more.  Be smart and study at least a week before so you’re confident about the SOLs.

6. Study group
Get a study group! Unfortunately, not a group of friends that will distract you from actually working!  Ask a few students from your class that you know work hard.  You don’t have to like them, you just have to study with them!

7. Exercise!
Exercise can be very helpful!  It keeps you more focused and ready to learn, it also helps you fall asleep faster.  If you can, walk to school instead of going in a car.

8. Superfoods
It’s obvious you need to eat healthily but what kind of healthy foods?   Slow digesting foods that are high in fiber and carbs have been proven to be best according to, The State University of New York. Slow carbs give you more energy over an extended period of time.

9. Location
Change your study location with every study session!  The brain makes a connection with what it’s studying and the background sensations. As a result changing your location improves retention.
10. Reward yourself!
Having something to work towards is more helpful than you think! People love rewards and it keeps them going. Get ice cream or bake cookies.  Take a while to relax before you get to studying again!

• Want to do great on your SOL? Here are 10 tips for the SOLs!

Feature Articles

Top 7 Songs of May 2017

Feature Articles

Stone Middle Takes First at Shamrock Dance Competition

Feature Articles

Camping 101

Feature Articles

Caught Nappin?

Feature Articles

The differences of getting to school in the US, and other parts of the world.

Feature Articles

How does Playing an Instrument Help you in Life?

Feature Articles

It’s Oozy! It’s Stretchy! It’s Slime!

Feature Articles

Sports and Good Grades. Is there a Correlation?

Feature Articles

Can Music Really Help You With School Work?

Feature Articles

Teenage Pregnancy in Today’s Day an Age

Panther News Set in Stone