The Stone Tablet

FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

A student marks his calendar for the new first day of school. The student is used to starting school on the day after Labor Day

Tim S., Staff Writer

Fairfax County Public Schools official first day of school is now August 28, unless something changes and reverses the first day of school back to the day after Labor Day. Do you want school to start early? According to WJLA’s Twitter poll, 47% think it’s too early, 7% think it’s too late, and 50% don’t care about school starting on August 28.

Fairfax County Public Schools are starting in August, because FCPS wants students to receive more education before winter break. The more education, the better grades. Better grades, less stress.. FCPS’s last day of school is now June 15. Would you rather end the school year later or start the school year later?

Many students at stone are upset by FCPS’s decision and here is what they have to say. Nolan Langford and Gavin Smallwood, both 7th grade, were asked about school starting in August. Nolan Langford said,”I think it’s stupid, because kids don’t want to start school earlier because the would rather do what they want.” Gavin Smallwood said,”I don’t want a shorter summer so I can have more fun riding my bike.” Mrs. Cooper is the only person that was happy about school starting early. Here’s what she had to say,”I think it’s a great idea, because we can get out earlier, before my birthday!”

Other school districts in Virginia have different first days school. Fredericksburg City Public Schools (FCPS 2 2), Rockingham County Public Schools (RCPS), and Prince William County Public Schools (PWCS) are a few schools that all have different first days of school. FCPS 2 starts school on September 4th, right after labor day. RCPS starts school on August 22. That’s 6 days before we start! Finally, PWCS starts school the same day we start school.

Here are 3 ways to prepare for school starting in August. The first tip is to practice going to bed early and waking up earlier so you get use to sleeping and waking up earlier. The next tip is to go school supply shopping early so you don’t have to go last minute shopping and fight for the last backpack. The last tip is to get the most out of the short summer and have a whole bunch of fun before summer ends! 

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

Feature Articles

Students March For Safety

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

Feature Articles

Schools are Taking a Stand Against School Shootings

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

Feature Articles

Who was Ormond Stone?

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

School News

The Room For After School

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

School News

The Stone Gobbler Gallup!

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

School News

Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

People

A Day in the Life of a Warriner Exchange Student

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

School News

Author John Gilstrap Comes to Stone for a Visit!

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

Feature Articles

Seventh Grade Students Learn About the Watershed

• FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

School News

Stone Students Rage Over the No Electronics in the Cafeteria

Panther News Set in Stone
FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!