Panther News Set in Stone

The Stone Tablet

Stone Middle Takes First at Shamrock Dance Competition

+Members+of+the+Stone+hip+hop+team+holding+the+grand+champion+trophy+at+the+2016+Winterfest+Competition.++The+dancers+got+the+highest+score+out+of+all+the+dances+at+competition.+
 Members of the Stone hip hop team holding the grand champion trophy at the 2016 Winterfest Competition.  The dancers got the highest score out of all the dances at competition.

Members of the Stone hip hop team holding the grand champion trophy at the 2016 Winterfest Competition. The dancers got the highest score out of all the dances at competition.

Sarah W., Staff Writer

Dedication is something you must have to be on one of Stone’s dance teams.   Stone middle school jazz and hip-hop team members took first place in their dance competition. The competition took place at Stone Middle School in the gym on Saturday, March 11, 2017.

Most choreographed dances are only about one minute and 30 seconds, but you would be surprised at how much goes into that one and a half minutes. Both teams practice about two hours twice a week at the least. “We practice a lot, but it is all worth it in the end,” said Katie C, 8th grade. Both teams take time to work on timing,technique, flexibility, and teamwork. The jazz and hip hop teams both have multiple coaches that take the time to train the dancers and choreograph all the dances.

All the dance team members have different reasons to join the dance. Most of them said they joined because they really enjoyed dancing.  Others did it because they wanted to be  more prepared for when they join the high school dance team.  “ I decided to join dance team because it will help me prepare for high school and my favorite thing to do is dance!” said Carrie W, 8th grade, on the jazz team.

There are many pros and cons of dancing. Dancing can cause strains and injuries, but can improve the condition of your heart and lungs.According to It can improved general and your self-confidence and self-esteem will increase by dancing. Dancing requires a lot of traveling, which can be a pro or a con to different people.It is also very expensive, dance classes usually cost about 5,000 dollars a year on average.

Dancing has been around for a long time. Even in ancient egypt,dancing before the god is an important ritual there. Also,The games at Olympia from the 8th century BC, are initiated  with dancing by the temple virgins. Later,Entertainment in Renaissance France and Italy involves ladies and gentlemen of the court being wheeled into the banqueting hall on scenic floats from which they descend to perform a dance. Today, dancing is a very popular competitive sport that still has millions of people participating in.

• Stone Middle Takes First at Shamrock Dance Competition

Feature Articles

Top 7 Songs of May 2017

Feature Articles

Want to do great on your SOL? Here are 10 tips for the SOLs!

Feature Articles

Camping 101

Feature Articles

Caught Nappin?

Feature Articles

The differences of getting to school in the US, and other parts of the world.

Feature Articles

How does Playing an Instrument Help you in Life?

Feature Articles

It’s Oozy! It’s Stretchy! It’s Slime!

Feature Articles

Sports and Good Grades. Is there a Correlation?

Feature Articles

Can Music Really Help You With School Work?

Feature Articles

Teenage Pregnancy in Today’s Day an Age

Panther News Set in Stone