Panther News Set in Stone

The Stone Tablet

Stone Students Rage Over the No Electronics in the Cafeteria

Jonatan+Guevara+Carrillo+is+texting+on+phone.++This+took+place+in+the+cafeteria+to+talk+to+his+friend+in+another+school.+
Jonatan Guevara Carrillo is texting on phone.  This took place in the cafeteria to talk to his friend in another school.

Jonatan Guevara Carrillo is texting on phone. This took place in the cafeteria to talk to his friend in another school.

Faris H., Staff Writer

In America 83% of boys have cell phones and 84% of girls have cell phones according to the website “CNet,” a website that tracks all the latest consumer technology breakthroughs.  Stone Middle School allows phones in the school, but not in the cafeteria; Many students are not happy with this decision.

According to the West Johnson High School newspaper, if students use phones in the cafeteria, cell phones can help improve grades. For instance, if you need to complete some online homework that you forgot about or if there’s a word you don’t know the meaning of, then you could get online. I have used a phone to finish a tipping project I couldn’t finish at home. According to the website “Use of Technology,” students who need to do research can do it at lunch and could type up all the research on their phones so it can’t get lost or ripped up in their binders.

Jonatan G., 7th grade, had something great to say,  he said,”I think we should be using [phones] because it’s our free time and we should be allowed.”So you might be wondering why we even have phones in school at all. Ms.Sciabica said, “I think it can be useful if it’s used for school purposes.” Some examples of this would be play Kahoot or Quizlet, working on an online assignment, or checking they’re grades on SIS.

Why we can’t have phones in the cafeteria? Mrs. Sciabica said,“because if [students] are texting or on social media they are generally texting their friends in another classroom.” On the other hand, Mrs. Sciabica does think that having phones in school can be a bad thing,“it can be a major distraction for both students and teachers, it can get students to have inappropriate conversations, and can lead to cyber-bullying.”

In conclusion, phones can be helpful if there’s online homework you forgot about, or if they need to do research for a project. Plus some parents might want to see how their kids are doing. Thank you for your time and attention.

• Stone Students Rage Over the No Electronics in the Cafeteria

Feature Articles

Who was Ormond Stone?

School News

The Room For After School

School News

The Stone Gobbler Gallup!

School News

Hurling Hurricanes! Please Help!

People

A Day in the Life of a Warriner Exchange Student

School News

Author John Gilstrap Comes to Stone for a Visit!

Feature Articles

Seventh Grade Students Learn About the Watershed

School News

FCPS Starting Before Labor Day!

People

Students Reveal Love For Ms. Stanziani

School News

Tardy Sweep! Run For Your Life!

Panther News Set in Stone